My children don’t particularly like sandwiches. Though they both often have bread rolls for lunch. I struggle with what to give my son for lunch. He will like something for a while and then go totally off it.
Sometimes if we have leftover chicken I will make a quick, easy Caesar salad.
This week I have made it with chicken left from my Creamy Tomato Chicken. If I have no hard boiled eggs I just fry an egg and put it in the freezer for about 5 minutes. Instead of croutons I just toast some bread before cutting it into small squares (good for using up crusts that no one seems to eat). I love crusts but generally don’t eat wheaten bread anymore.
I put the salad in a small container & send to school in an insulated lunchbox with a freezer brick. Don’t forget to pack a fork.
So here is my easy recipe:
Quick, Easy Caesar Salad
- few lettuce leaves
- 1 tsp oil
- 1 egg
- leftover cooked chicken
- 1 slice ham
- 1 slice of bread
- 1 tablespoon whole egg mayonnaise
- 1 tsp perinaise
- Heat frypan & add oil. Put bread into toaster and toast well. Crack egg into frypan & fry.
- As the toast & egg cook, tear up lettuce leaves and put into bottom of serving container.
- Once egg & toast are cooked place into the freezer for 5 minutes while preparing the rest.
- Chop up leftover chicken & ham and add to container.
- Chop up egg, once cooled and add to container.
- Chop up toast & add most to container, leave a bit to sprinkle on top.
- Add mayonnaise & perinaise (if using) to the salad & stir to combine). Add rest of toast croutons.
- Put lid on container & add to lunchbox.
What alternative to sandwiches to your children have for lunch?