This post about Individual Leftover Chilli Pies inspired me to make my own pies with some leftover Quick Chilli Beef. I was planning my dinner menu for the week when I saw the post about making pies with leftover chilli mince. As we usually have leftovers but not enough for a full second meal, I thought mini pies might be a way to stretch the leftovers. However, I decided to use my pastry recipe which is loosely based on the pastry in this apple crumb pie recipe.
So here is my recipe:
Chilli Beef Meat Pies
- 1/2 cup tapioca flour
- 1/2 cup brown rice flour
- 1/4 cup almonds/almond meal
- 71g nuttelex
- 1 large egg
- 1 tbsp ice water (if needed)
- leftover Quick Chilli Beef (or any leftover mince dish)
- grated cheese (can use bio cheese or other dairy free cheese)
- Place tapioca flour, rice flour & almonds in food processor & process to grind up the almonds. (If using almond meal, just proceed to step 2 before processing.)
- Add salt, nuttelex & egg; process until combined. Add water if necessary.
- Place dough in fridge for 30-45mins.
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius. Cut baking paper to line individual pie tins (mine are about 11cm in diameter).
- Roll out pastry between gladwrap to a few millimetres thick. Cut around pie tin leaving a few centimetres extra.
- Place baking paper on pastry and turn over & lift off the gladwrap. Place pastry on baking paper into tin & trim and add pastry to line the tin.
- Repeat steps 5&6 for the other pie tins.
- Divide left over chilli beef between the pastry lined pie tins.
- Sprinkle with cheese
- Bake for 25-30mins until pie crust is browned & cheese is melted & brown.
- Remove pies from tin & serve with vegetables or salad.
The picture on the left above, shows the pie in the tin. I used a rectangle of baking paper to line the tin.
I served our pies with homemade sweet potato & potato fries, tomato, lettuce & avacado.
How do use up leftover mince dishes or make the leftovers stretch further?